Sunday, September 27, 2015

Chicago to Miami Roadtrip (Day 3)

 Day 3
Destination: Charleston, South Carolina (Hanahan)
Stops: Asheville, NC


The sound of the creek and rain into the morning was incredible. I loved waking up outside. We had arrived at the tipi shortly before it got dark out, so we used this morning to try to explore the area a little more. We also tried to start a fire in the wood stove; as much as I would like to blame our failure on the dampness of the firewood, that probably isn't completely adequate to explain it... incompetence is probably more like it. Although I really do think we did everything correctly, our fire-starting competence can probably best be described as "I can start a fire if all conditions are perfect... probably." 

I'd give us an A+ for effort. Bandit would give us an F... for everything.




At least we were able to feed you, buddy.
Rosie provides homemade bread, butter, eggs, and most exciting of all, goat's milk. Alex has always wanted to try super fresh milk, which I guess is when you can taste what the goat just ate (grass and dandelions?).

Hmm, looks like someone got something passed under the table. This is Bandit's pretend-like-I'm-not-chewing-when-I'm-chewing face, which he has perfected.
And for the goat's milk experience:
Not sure what that face is about, but we actually really loved the milk. As usual, Bandit is heavily involved in all activities. Here is the area right next to the tipi. 
Bandit is like, I'm SURE you don't expect me to do anything with this stuff. He's a city dog.



And here's where we took a bath the previous evening and the outhouse on the right. These photos are the inside of both, which I took from their Airbnb page.





Next, we were off to Charleston, South Carolina with a pitstop in Asheville, NC. Asheville was pretty close to Cosby, I want to say about 1.5 hours away so it wasn't a huge necessity to stop here, but I had wanted to see the city. We didn't stay for very long, but stopped by a coffeeshop so I could charge my phone, which had died the night before in the tipi. 

We ended up choosing Waking Life Espresso for its dog friendly patio and we each had a delicious latte. I really liked the interior too, which was simple and wood-filled. They had individual tables as well as a larger bar table. 


We ate at White Duck Taco Shop, which was a choice I commended myself on. Based on the recommendation of the woman working there, Alex ordered 4 tacos. We were satisfied but not exactly full. We were kind of like, is this how full normal people try to get? I would probably order 5 tacos or even 6 to be shared between two people, but we apparently have gotten used to needing to feel more full than the average person, so.... Alex thought I'd like to see the interior, so took this picture. Meanwhile, Bandit farted in the car while we were waiting for him.


We did stop in Charleston at a pizza place that got high reviews to bring back to our Airbnb which was located outside the city. The pizza was just fine, nothing to write home about. Charleston is definitely somewhere I'd want to spend more time, but we had been before; although I felt like a lot had changed since we visited three years ago. Asheville and Charleston were both very charming cities with too many food options... we'll be back.

We were met by the nicest people in Hanahan, South Carolina. Our hosts had two dogs themselves and were very accommodating of Bandit, played with him, brought him new toys (his favorite toy is any new toy), and even encouraging him to play with their dog to get him some exercise after he had a leg amputated due to cancer. We were surprised that the HUGE backyard was fenced in so it was great to be able to let him off leash while we ate our pizza. This whole place was SO comfortable and clean; it was Alex's favorite of all the places we stayed. The shower was heavenly after a long, hot day. Here are a few pictures from their Airbnb page. I posted a picture of the bathroom because the shower felt that good.

No comments: