Tuesday, November 6, 2012

election day 2012


This year's election has been so much important to me than his first election. Perhaps because I'm older now. Perhaps because I've learned more. Perhaps because I've seen more of the world and the country. In his first election, his hope to change healthcare was my (and perhaps one of his) primary concern. He had relatively neutral stances toward abortion, gay rights, and social issues that could alienate him. I think he stepped up and he spoke up, so perhaps it's things like this that convince me that there really is a lot at stake here. There are people who are fed up with the emotional appeals of the candidates, but I think that's because a lot of people see their lives and their rights at a crossroads. And as a woman, I have the same sense. And then, how can it not be emotional? And the there's this and I can't even:

"I was so moved and inspired by Michelle Obama’s speech. Brian and I watched it with the kids. While Michelle talked our daughter asked “Can a woman be president?” YES! I replied emphatically. And then I got tears in my eyes thinking about how furious I am that we still live in a world where a little girl isn’t sure about that."

No comments: