Monday, October 24, 2011

cozy season.

[picture from here]

One of the reasons I love seasons, even in the miserable cold, is an excuse to get cozy. I remember last winter, when I was a birthday party planner (oh, the part time jobs I could describe), I woke up and looked outside my window. I have a large balcony-like sliding door that looks out to the skyline. It has curtains but I never close them unless I need to keep the cold out (seriously) because although there is a large tree obstructing most of the view, the skyline is a constant reminder of where I am and maybe to some extent, who I am. So I wake up and look out the window, which is, almost without variation, the first thing I do in the morning. There is snow coming down horizontally and with a vengeance.

I'm thinking to myself, this party has got to be canceled. People don't go outside in this weather. Except that they do. And I know this. But whenever there is any weather aberration, I feel hope that everything in the day will be canceled. This has thus far only happened once (the blizzard of 20+ inch snow). I bundled up in a shirt, sweatshirt, fleece jacket, snuggie, and winter jacket. Yes, I was sweating on the walk there. But here's my point: we put up with that kind of weather because first, everyone is so happy to arrive. That's all it takes to cause joy. Arrival: I have made it and now I can be warm.

And secondly, there are nights like tonight: cup of coffee, rainstorm outside and a big blanket thrown over your shoulders to talk with some friends or listen to some lectures. I really love it.

1 comment:

Frank said...

Hi Jocelyn,
I used to visit your blog on occasion many yrs. ago (like about 5?), and at that time you were finishing high school and getting prepared for college, I believe. I remember you liked crafts a lot, and that book-making thing you do with crafts (forget what that's called). You also liked going to Caribou Coffee, I think it was. And, that you were an excellent writer and communicator, even at that young age.

I've largely moved over to Facebook (except for the occasional longer piece of writing), but decided check back in with Blogger. Have you maintained your blog all of this time? And from what I can tell, have you about finished college and are studying for grad school? Amazing. Wow, time flies. I'm so proud to see where you are now (yet hardly surprised). I can see that your writing talents are just as good as ever. What are the plans, next? I can tell you a little about my grad school experiences, sometime - although they may not apply much to what you may be doing. Here's my email:
frankr987@yahoo.com
Maybe we can also talk through Facebook sometime also. So glad everything seems to be going well for you.
-Frank