Monday, November 28, 2011

dress for the elements.

So... I have a private Twitter account. What I mean by private is that you have to request to read it and I only have accepted a few close friends (like... 3), some people who used to be friends before I wrote things in it, and my favorite coffeeshop. The reason is that for me, it's just a mind dump. Things that I've encountered and don't want to forget. Words that fall together in a certain way to delight me. And recently I started keeping a running list on there.

Anyway. Every once in awhile, I'll go back and scroll through all my past twitter entries and see what I wrote. Most of the things are little phrases that don't make sense or things people said to me that struck me (usually, humorously). And I mostly don't remember these things being said, but they bring up memories of things I had thought impossible to forget.

Things like:

"You have all been told to follow your dream, but what if it's a stupid dream?"
-Stephen Colbert's Northwestern Commencement Speech 2011

"You know how in elementary school, teachers always split up the two friends who are talking all the time? We are those friends."
-Saad, Oct 4

"Overheard on the bus: When I tell you I love you in my life, you say I love you in my life back."
Sept 21

"'Ask yourself, Can I run in these shoes? How fast? Faye Dunaway never looked so chic as while taking violent turns in her getaway car. Dress for moments like that. Dress for the elements.'"
Dec 26 10

No comments: