Monday, September 20, 2010

astronomy will have to be revised

Although September is mostly over, I have a few goals that I've been working on, will work on this week, and will continue to work on in October. I also have realized that I will need to begin working on my October goals, if I am to start them at the time I intend to start them. (Note: if you want to start doing something, you don't start planning on that day. Right.) The current plan is to have a large, overarching goal for the month that will most likely be more intrinsic and difficult to measure. Just writing that makes me laugh a little. I'll have more measurable goals to help me reach those goals and just because I'm neurotic (the extent to which is yet to be discerned), actual actions that I can take.

My goal for September is to revitalize/energize. Which to me, means to get it together. Which means to enable myself to begin living the way I want to. I say "enable" because I don't know that I can realistically start being this person I intend to be, but if I can focus on the things I love and conduct myself in non-lazy ways, I think that's a start and exactly what I need for September.

Steps:
1) Set up a routine- things to do every day. I recently read someone's Facebook status and I really liked it, "Every day, same place, same time. The catalyst for change." This is something I have a hard time with. I'm working two jobs, but one of them really allows me to define my own schedule and come in whenever I need to in order to finish what I'm doing. By nature, I don't crave consistence, but I feel that if I can be consistent, then not only will I be more stable emotionally, but I will also be able to open up my day to experience more.

2) Healthy eating- I am awful at this.

3) Exercise- Swim, bike, yoga, walk. My current exercises of choice.

4) Deal with past issues. Talk to the necessary people. More on this later.

5) Enjoy autumn and Chicago. This one is simple. This season and this city inspire me endlessly. I was talking about autumn with my friend Rob the other night, and he interpreted autumn nights as chilly and melancholic. And I realized that while this is true, it's exactly the reason I like it. (He was born in the late spring, so the first season he experienced was pleasant summer- can't deal with the melancholy! Ha, I have a lot of theories. I'm sure many will come to light soon enough) At the same time though, the reason that I yearn for that slightly tugging feeling that comes with the autumn evenings is the opportunity for the comfort that we can provide ourselves- the cozy of hot chocolate or tea, a blanket, and a good book. So maybe I'm not into the melancholy either (I may assert that I am, however), but interested in the reaction to it.

I will post more on the individual goals this week.

1 comment:

Christielli said...

I so gotta hop on that healthy eating train too.

Good luck with your October goals.

Yah, and how is September almost over? Time goes too quickly!