Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"You Should Sell These to Starbucks"

[Image by Shutterbean]

One of my goals (which I should really compile so that they are not floating around everywhere- "everywhere" being my brain) is to only eat the sugary things that I make myself. This is my reconciliation of my desire to eat healthier but also still bake. I would like to note that it is really, really hard to avoid buying Trader Joe's Highbrow Cookies. I like slightly crunchy cookies most of the time (I SO go through phases in cookie preferences) and these are irresistible. Inherently, there are many problems to this goal, which I need to work out. For example, what about Molly's Cupcakes or the myriad of delightful Chicago bakeries that I can't help but love and at which I share experiences with friends? There will need to be some thought put into this.

To me, baking is like the less-intimidating, more approachable version of cooking. This autumn, I plan on improving my cooking skills, and yet I feel this inexplicable need to ease into it... and if someone would hold my hand through the entire process, that would be preferable. In the meantime, while I wait for takers, I've been wondering what I can bake for $21. It turns out that I can't get out of making banana bread... over and over again. I made some a few weeks ago on Thursday. Then two more loaves Friday. Then two more loaves yesterday. It also turns out that you can actually make five loaves of banana bread for $21 and still have a lot of leftover ingredients. I am only running low on the yogurt, vanilla extract, and butter. I look forward to trying out some new recipes in the upcoming weeks.... hopefully. It's just that this stuff is so good. And as of yet, I have been unable to mess it up. And I mess up baking a lot, in the most careless ways.

I've been giving it to co-workers and friends left and right. One of my co-workers is obsessed with it and came into work on a day off to get some. And it may be the sole reason that we are friends. But that is another story for another day. One thing I like is that there are no nuts because I feel as though I've recently met quite a few people who are allergic. But I'm sure that they can be added.

I used the recipe from Shutterbean and I believe she got it from a book called Mad Hungry: Recipes for Men and Boys.

Tessy's Banana Bread

  • 1 cup plus all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • coarse salt
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk (I used 1/2 cup plain yogurt)
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 large banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the topping:

  • 1 tablespoon cold butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a loaf pan. Or be like me and use Pam. I make enough mess in the kitchen. Me and butter hands don't mix.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

3. Stir in the melted butter and the buttermilk (or yogurt). Add the egg and beat for 1 minute. Add the banana and vanilla. Stir until well combined. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.

4. Make a topping by mashing together the tablespoon of cold butter with the tablespoon of flour, the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of salt. Distribute the topping evening over the batter. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until cake tester or toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Cut and serve from the pan.

----------------

Next up, I'm thinking about trying out zucchini bread or some sort of cookie. I almost always crave cookies.

3 comments:

Ashley H said...

change is good.

please tell me you don't smoke.

Jocelyn said...

haha ash, i don't smoke. i just liked the picture.

Cherita said...

! I can't believe you moved blogs. I love the picture. ;) You are on a baking adventure (again) I see...you should come to Champaign to test out your skills so I can be the food critic. I've always wanted to do that. I love the Coffee in October title. Seriously...I wish the entire year was October. I love you. Come to me, and we can go apple picking here.