Wednesday, January 26, 2011

keep me where the light is

cowlcowl

Hand-knit items take time. And it's not always time that you feel is well-spent because your projects don't always turn out the way you imagined. Or maybe sometimes your imagination is a little bit off. Or a lot of a bit off. But that's neither here nor there.

That said, this cowl I knit is one of the most practical projects that I've made. And it's one of those truths that I acknowledge when I'm at the bus stop, freezing much less than I otherwise would. Or when I'm walking down the street and it's catching all the tears, snot, and other really great bodily fluids induced by your body being way colder than it can really endure. Is this my way of declaring love? By insisting upon the practicality of that which I love? Maybe.

This yarn, Twinkle Soft Chunky, is fantastic. It's so warm. I made a sweater out of it last fall, which I think I'm going to take apart and make into a blanket. I would recommend using it for smaller items or items that will take less wear and tear because as a chunkier yarn, it does pill much easier. The sweaters designed for this yarn are gorgeous, but somewhat unpractical, which, in my opinion, is completely fine.

Anyway, here is information on the project:
Yarn: 1 skein Twinkle Soft Chunky (I wish I knew the color, it's gorgeous)
Needle Size: 17s
Pattern: Marian by Jane Richmond
Modifications: I am pretty sure I accidentally twisted it twice while knitting it, although I was only trying to twist it once. Also, I used a smaller needle size, just because it's what I had on hand.

Ravelry page.

3 comments:

Christielli said...

Ooh, I should sign up for this page! How difficult is the pattern? I'm not overly skilled, even though I'm a pro at mittens...

Jocelyn said...

The pattern is not difficult at all. It's just knitting and purling! You could absolutely do it.

And yes- join Ravelry. It's an amazing database of yarn and patterns!

Michelle said...

Ahh! This is in my Ravelry queue. I have waited so long to make it. But your's is fantastic!