Saturday, May 14, 2011

goat cheese-stuffed dates wrapped in prosciutto

Picture from lolfoodie

I am always somewhat discouraged to discover every now and then that I may be a cooking genius. I feel as though I would be very relieved to find that I just don't have the ability to cook and save myself the trouble and pretense by ordering out all the time. And yet, I'm pretty good at copying recipes and following directions exactly. Sure, this isn't exactly displaying a knack for cooking, per se. It's a knack for following procedures. Sure, I forget every three seconds how to chop an onion or garlic, but every now and then... I can make a dish that is pretty good.

I still lack the comfort and ease in a kitchen that one might associate with a true cooking genius, and I still don't have a lot of helpful kitchen accessories, but... I do feel pretty encouraged that this is something I can develop. One of my goals for the next few months is to begin the process of developing some go-to comfort dishes. I'm hoping that as the summer progresses, I feel that I can grow an arsenal of simple and tasty dishes to turn to for guests and even myself.

I know that the key to creating a sustainable process (aka, such that I will keep cooking for myself) is to ensure that the recipes I choose have ingredients that are versatile... and that I can find at the grocery store. I'm not one to be searching for an exotic seasoning I can use one time. Also, I know that the recipes I choose need to not only taste great to me (and my personal taste is something I know very well, so that is helpful), but also will not take eons to make and will not make a huge mess. So these are key.

I started today with a pasta that I have completely fallen in love with. Can't wait to share. But for now, I am drooling over these goat cheese-stuffed dates wrapped in prosciutto. You know how I was saying I know my taste? This is exactly what it is.

I'm pretty excited about this... I feel like I haven't properly challenged myself in awhile.

No comments: