Thursday, February 2, 2012

Brown Bag Lunch (Food Truck #1)

 
Last week, my school organized a "Truckin' for Haiti" event in which a variety of food trucks came for the lunch hours. People lined up. Some of the proceeds went to Haiti. As anyone with limited time is prone to do, I researched carefully and decided what trucks I'd be visiting.

First up. On Wednesday, Denise and I went to Brown Bag Lunch Truck. I tried the Pulled Pork. Here's the information, according to the menu:

brine: pineapple juice, mexicoke, chinese black vinegar, kosher salt
smoke: applewood or cherry wood, oak
tea party sauce: banana ketchup, earl grey tea, green tea, rice wine vinegar, kecap manis, ginger

I'm not a food blogger so I can't say that I tasted all those things. But I did love the smoky flavor of the meat. The sauce was also delicious- a little bit like sweet barbeque sauce. But the pure flavor of the meat without the sauce was perfect. My dad taught me to be a purist. Sometimes, though, the sauce is too good to resist.
Denise had wanted to order the spicy elotes (charred whole corn on the cob, spicy japanese mayo, shaved parmigiano reggiano, cilantro, lime juice), but they didn't have those. They did, however, offer supposedly the same combination in "pudding" form. I was glad she was down to try it because the corn on the cob sounded so good. The pudding sounded weird. When she opened her container, it wasn't pudding as we expected, but looked more like a pie. We must not be fancy enough foodies to know what that really is. It tasted delicious, though- kind of like cornbread. 

I feel like people with more sensitive palates are probably sensing all their taste buds die at my 3 AM attempts to describe food with a rather limited foodcabulary (okay, vocabulary in general...). She also had kimchi toasted garlic rice (jasmine rice, kimchi, toasted garlic, oil, kosher salt), which I thought was delicious as well. 

And we just had to photograph the mini Chinese takeout box. I heard that they have chicken and bacon waffles. Must. Track. Down. I view this as an accomplishment toward my Eat Delicious Foods goal. So great to have such achievable goals.

No comments: