Thursday, November 11, 2010

What Worked in October

Photobucket
I dropped the ball on my November goals. As in, I didn't come up with any. I just didn't. October was good. I didn't accomplish all my goals, and in fact, I don't know that I accomplished most of them specifically, and I'm okay with that. Three awesome things happened in October:

1. I found a routine that will work for me. In this way, I could balance two jobs, studying, working out, and friends. I can make the routine even better so that I am studying more these next two months, and that will be the plan for November. Also, I think I need to find some alone time. I was talking with one of my co-workers in the kitchen who was upset that he didn't have enough time to himself- only 5 hours. Although I'm surprised that he needs five hours to himself, it made me realize that it probably is important to make time for such things as... yourself.

2. I can't really remember the second awesome thing, which is somewhat horrifying.

3. I quit men. Casual dating is fun, but also makes you a little crazier (and pressed for time) than you really need to be. I also considered going on a coffee sabbatical, but really, how many things that you love can you just give up like that?

So now, What Worked in October. In general, I do think that my goal to engage with my surroundings was successful. My goals were to:

1. Enjoy Chicago. I actually could not find events at the Pritzker Pavillion, which was weird. But I definitely could have gone to the Chicago Cultural Center, which I did not do. I enjoyed Chicago in other ways (i.e., bars and clubs haha); unfortunately (or fortunately), I have never been good at being a tourist.

2. Fall traditions. I made pumpkin pie, went apple picking, watched football at sports bars, and drank a lot of coffee. Although coffee is more of an all-seasonal/life tradition, it counts. I still have to make apple pie with the apples that are now probably rotten at this point. And I have more pumpkins that need to be made into more pumpkin pie.

3. Focus on friends (and brother). I'm happy with this. I got to see some of my friends that don't live in Chicago and I've really been staying connected on the phone. Making new friends, blah blah, etc.

4. Disconnect with the computer and phone. I did okay at this. I really was able to step away from Facebook, which was my main goal. I talked about how technology is problematic in some ways, but I do also think that there is a lot of inspiration out there and I'm not opposed to that.

5. Sign up for classes I have been thinking about. Executive life decision that I should not be signing up for more classes at the time being but come February, I will.

6. Work on a collaborative project. In the works, kind of.

7. Join an interest group. This didn't work out because on Thursday nights, I usually end up doing something else, which goes in direct conflict with the whole group thing. I may try again in November, but thus far, this Thursday and the one in the past are not working out for me.

8. Read in my spare time. Ok, but need to read more. I've been reading On the Road possibly for the entire month, I am not sure.

No comments: