Sunday, October 3, 2010

October Goals

My goal for October is to engage. To me, this means connecting with the people, community, and environment around me. October is a great month for getting out there because it's my favorite month- I love the weather and chill. It's a good time to enjoy the lovely city around me. Right now, I'm sick and have a huge band-aid on my face from a cyst removal, so it's not a good start, but you know! These things happen.

1. Enjoy Chicago. Specifically, I'm thinking about going to the Chicago Cultural Center and all the free music events that happen at the Pritzker Pavillion. Also, I need to continue my September goal of taking walks in different neighborhoods, which I did not do.

2. Do every fall tradition I can think of. Starting with today- I'm going apple picking for the first time. I'm also going to do pumpkins. And make apple- and pumpkin-related desserts. And hot chocolate and cider outside. And corn mazes.

3. Focus on friends. This is more for alliterative effect than anything... just kidding. I will try to plan things better with friends and write to my friends who are far, far away.

4. Disconnect the computer and phone. I'm going to have one day a week during which I don't turn on a computer at all. This is challenging because all my music is on it, but I think when I allow myself to be lazy and just turn on the computer, I read less, do other things less, and engage less. For the phone, I might need to have an hour a day during which I turn it to silent and don't worry about it at all. You know, for peace of mind and all.

5. Sign up for the classes I've been thinking about.

6. Work on a collaborative project or two.

7. Join an interest-group?

8. Read in my spare time. This is engaging in the world.

I think these goals are possibly manageable and will be challenging in a good way!

1 comment:

Christielli said...

Great list of goals. I like the idea about the computer and the phone but I don't think I could ever do it.