Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Crisp- Korean

About a month ago, my friends Saad and Nitin and I visited Devon Avenue. I love that street. The tacky shiny nightlights remind me of Asia. It's perfect. Although I forgot to blog about it, I did take some pictures that I had forgotten about. We decided that night that we would try new cuisines of all different cultures. Shortly thereafter, Saad and I started a Google document to keep track of all the different countries' foods we wanted to try. The thing I love about Google Docs is that it is totally live and you can see as the other person is typing comments. This led to Saad and I commenting back and forth about different ideas (mostly unproductive ideas about how we should find a person of the same ethnicity as the food to take with us and explain to us what was going on- via Craigslist, obviously). But also to Yelp links of different possibilities. Nitin had been keeping his Gmail account a secret from me but eventually I was able to share the document with him and he thought that Saad and my comments must have been those of at least four people. That's pretty much accurate. He has been fixating over the idea of Vietnamese Pho. "Pho sho," he says.

Right after our Anatomy exams last Wednesday and too tired to research which Pho restaurant to try, Saad and I decide that we should try Crisp, a restaurant that we had frequently driven past in the Lakeview neighborhood. It's Korean food and absolutely delicious. We actually became a little suspicious of its absolute authenticity, but as we had no Korean counterpart to give us the 411, we went with it. The sauces and flavors for both the chicken bowl (chicken and sticky-ish rice) and barbeque chicken were amazing.

You can split wings half and half with different sauces- we decided to do that with the 10 wing set and got both the Seoul Sassy and Crisp BBQ flavorings. Although they both hold a dear place in my heart, I preferred the Seoul Sassy just a little bit to the Crisp BBQ and Nitin felt the opposite. Saad had a picky, nuanced opinion in his weird Saad ways that would take too long to explain here, as per most of Saad's thoughts and ideas.

We had a really good time here and accidentally stayed past closing. Nitin is using our cultural experience to search out good future date spots. I would be very impressed with any guy attempting to woo me if he knew of such delicious and unique places. Likewise, I would be very impressed with any guy I took to places serving food that he has possibly never tried before who keeps an open mind about it all. Very important.

No comments: