Thursday, March 8, 2012

Dear Old Love

Last week, I read a book Dear Old Love, a collection of notes written by people to people they used to love, or like- the ones who got away. There are more notes posted on the blog. Here are some of the ones I liked:

I'm so glad it didn't work out the way I wanted it to.

Mother told me, "Don't buy the first coat you try on." So I broke up with you. But in retrospect, I think she was talking about coats. Sorry.

Yes, we had good sex. I have god sex with everyone. That's me.

When I play air guitar, you're my air audience.

I never tired of looking at you over the tops of menus.

If all I cared about was producing a genetic masterpiece, I would've stayed with you.

Even though we broke up five years ago, I still rate the way I feel about someone new on a scale that goes from Zero to You.

I could live in the same small town my whole life if you were there, too.

You are a gigantic ass. And not the good kind of gigantic ass, like my ass.

I keep trying to get my hair back to exactly the way it was when you loved me.

I hope you didn't go through those hair-removal procedures for me. I like my women mammals.

Every time I drove you home, I prayed for traffic.

I'm over you like Batman is over losing his parents.

Tank tops, on your figure, were truly an implement of war.

I want to save the world just so you can't be the one to do it.

I've got a lot going on, but it's still really hard pretending I don't love you.

Even in this retirement village, I can't retire thoughts of waltzing with you.

I finally found someone who doesn't mind if I wake them up to say goodbye in the morning.
--------------
These are my favorite:

I'll always be jealous of whoever is with you. And I'm talking all the way to the one pushing you in a wheelchair down the dewy lawn of your old folks' home.

You have no idea how hard I root for you.

You signed my ninth grade yearbook, "We could've used a girl like you at the Alamo." I've had a thing for you ever sense.
---------------
Somewhat relatedly, I love this scene from When a Man Loves a Woman.

4 comments:

Jane said...

Fun book and blog...I'll have to look it up. Thanks for sharing!

xo
jane
harleyandjane.blogspot.com

Christielli said...

The bitter ones are speaking to me right now.

Cait Emma said...

aw i love this - that books sounds so so good :0) you have an adorable blog, thanks so much for stopping by mine a couple of days ago

definitely a new follower!

C

Anonymous said...

oh man. i can relate to so many of those. thanks for sharing, i'll have to check out that book.

also, thanks for the sweet words on my blog recently! i'm glad to have found yours again.