Sunday, March 4, 2012

Next Door Cafe

I recently discovered this coffeeshop, Next Door, presumably whilst wasting time on Yelp. People (including myself) seem confused about this place because it is owned by State Farm and is in a large space, yet seems to give off a small, community feel. Multiple vibes leading to confusion=fair enough. I'm not here to end the confusion, only to suggest that they make delicious lattes (depending on who's making it, one of the best I've had) and chili caliente. They attempt to build a sense of community by offering free classes (mostly financial- and yoga-based), as well as things like Super Bowl viewings. These things are all displayed prominently on a huge chalkboard. In my eyes, such a chalkboard is getting pretty close to living the dream.

Also, these huge moving cubicles are awesome if you need a private space. Overall, the vibe isn't my favorite because there is so much white. But I like that it is airy and spacious. And did I mention the amazing coffee? It is really good. As in, impossible that it is from State Farm unless they hired some sort of coffee expert to handle this, good.
We are, however, not a huge fan of the hot chocolate. Saad, whose caffeine of choice is in the form of energy drinks, usually tries hot chocolate wherever we go. We have a running list of good hot chocolate places. Unfortunately, Next Door probably is at the bottom of the list.
The above is Saad's political statement. He was a very good sport in letting me take this picture when I noticed the bottom of the mugs.

My favorite moment was when the barista asked how the grilled cheese was. When we (truthfully) answered that they were amazing (at times, I'm prone to hyperbole; this is not), he responded totally deadpan "Oh, that's because I put crack in them." So smooth Saad didn't even hear what he actually said and, following my cue, pretended to laugh and only when the barista was out of earshot did he say, "Wait, what did he say?"

Conclusion: go here to study and enjoy delicious food and drink. Not the coziest place, but definitely a nice spot, especially to go meet people who are interested in exchanging ideas.

No comments: